Saturday, December 6, 2008

Weekly letter, attempt #2

Not sure how this works, but I am game to try...

Our Thanksgiving was the usual bash at my cousin Dede's. Unfortunately, neither Grandma nor my Dad made it to the festivities. Grandma was smart enough to know that there would be a lot of little ones with lots of germs running around and so she stayed back at Meadow Lakes. Sean and I went to pick up my father, but he had hallucinations during the night and somehow vaulted himself out of bed, slightly injuring his knee. He felt that getting into and out of the car, not to mention sitting in a chair all afternoon, would be too much. It was the first time in a very long time that I had not spent Thanksgiving with my Dad.

I would mention everyone who was there, but a) it would take a very long time, and b) you probably don't know who half of them are anyway. Not too many strays this year; we will have to work on that. Strays sometimes bring good gifts - like the Japanese businessmen who brought the sake last year.

Peter and my cousin Brian's son Michael jammed on guitars with a sort of loopy drum accompaniment. The only members of my parents generation there were my uncle Brendan and his ex-wife, Jean. Scary to think that my generation will soon be the oldest. We certainly don't act it!

The Peter Dickson family had a lovely family outing raking leaves on Friday. We love challenges - we always pick the windiest day to rake. It makes getting the leaves on the tarp and out to the curb so-o-o much fun.

Johanna and Sean both spent time with old friends. Sean returned to NYC on Saturday afternoon, refusing to carry half the stuff his mother was trying to give him. We did get some leftovers and other goodies in his bag.

On Sunday, Johanna and I went to the movies. I don't think we have been to the movies since before she got sick. We saw "Rachel Getting Married," which I mistakenly thought was a comedy. Very few laughs in a movie about a drug addict who accidentally killed her little brother coming home from rehab after her latest stint.

Take care all!

love, janet

2 comments:

Pops Weekly Letter said...

We saw Rachel Getting Married and would recommend it, although it is disturbing. Like Janet we thought it would be a romantic comedy. The acting was great, and there's lots to talk about afterwards. John and Mary

Pops Weekly Letter said...

I forgot to mention - you were the first to blog Janet, so you win the prize. Wonder what it was. Talk about next generation being the oldest!