Sunday, December 21, 2008

Gee, It's Great to Be Back Home Again


I am stealing the title from a John Denver song, but I bet it's not copyrighted.

And it's not just John that's home, but Annie as well. She pulled in on Friday evening after a marathon drive through a blizzard. She's a little under the weather after end of term exams, but hopefully not for long.

John got back from a week of travel to Argentina, Uruguay and Bolivia. It turns out that everywhere I travel recently, I send an e-mail to Mary saying that we must return as tourists. But when I got to a small town named Colonia in Uruguay across the Rio Plata from Buenos Aires, my e-mail said, "We must move here." I wonder by how many days I missed John and Marilyn on their cruise to this part of the world.

When I got to Bolivia, my e-mail said "unbelievable geography." I am not sure about traveling and moving there, principally because of the altitude which hit me and most people immediately on arrival. Handing in my passport not one minute off the plane, and I almost fainted. For two days, I struggled with headaches and shortness of breath. Wow. The city is in a "hole" circled by mountains at 13,000 feet above sea level.

We figured out we have been building a family tradition over the years. It is called, the leaning Christmas tree. Some years it is so good, the tree actually falls over before we get it right. Any suggestions? Are we the only ones?

Margaret and Annie went to Joe's for a party last night. We were not invited, even though I got home at around 11pm. Jeff and Melody were, though, and they came. And the reports this am is everyone had fun.

We hear from Fairfield that Paula's sister and cousin are not doing so well. Makes for a tough holiday season.

Finally, we close with an article in the Washington Post on Mary's school, which recently won a state-wide Blue-Ribbon award for excellence:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/12/18/AR2008121802192.html

Pretty remarkable school.

No comments: