Sunday, December 14, 2008

I sent along a picture, for which I must add a disclaimer - I am not normally fond of pictures of myself (just ask Peter) and this one is no exception. However, that said, I am so very proud of what it represents. For the last two months I have been working as the director's assistant for the middle school production of "Midsummer Night's Dream." The play happens to be my favorite of Shakespeare's comedies, and when there was a joint production of the play three or so years ago with McCarter Theatre and Paper Mill Theatre here in NJ, I worked on the audio description at both theatres and I believe I saw the production about thirteen times.

Is is never easy to work with a large group of children (55 in this case), especially after school. They really, really wanted to be there, but if they weren't in a scene. or their friend was close, or well, maybe it just was what it was, chaos ensued. Two weeks ago I would have told you that the production would have been a failure. Normal, everyday language can present a challenge for middle schoolers. Reciting and acting out Shakespearean language can be an excruciating challenge. I know the play so very well, and I have to say that I didn't always agree with the director's choices, but I backed her up and facilitated as best I could.

In the last week, I knew we had something good going. The 6th grader who played Puck, a tiny girl, who always seemed so shy. was phenomenal. She had Puck's body language, his devilishness, his toadying, everything was perfect. The 7th grade boy who played one of the mechanicals of the "play within a play" - a group of really terrible actors who believe they are terrific, was outstanding. He and I have talked about his studying further, since as I told him, I have rarely seen someone with the instincts and talent he has. The four lovers hit every mark. All in all, a heady experience. Even Peter was shocked; he couldn't believe it was a middle school play.

Early on, I positioned myself as the stage manager, since I wasn't sure what the director wanted me to do, even though she had requested me. So I never did see the show, since I was backstage, making sure everyone made the correct entrance. I did love the girl who played one of the mechanicals, who I had to go find for one of her entrances, (she was busy talking to friends in the hall). Seconds before her entrance on Stage Right, she ran around to Stage Left, where I was, moaning that she had to go to the bathroom. To which I, ever the warm and concerned person, said "e;forget it - your entrance is in seconds and the show is not waiting for you." Ah, the power!

1 comment:

Pops Weekly Letter said...

Janet - Sounds great. Congratulations.

If you can e-mail the photo we'll post it for you. John