Friday, January 20, 2012

Memories of Grandma

I've had a hard time sitting down to write down all my memories of Grandma. There are just too many to name. I had twenty-eight wonderful years with her as my beloved grandmother. It's hard to condense that down. So instead, I'm just going to share a few of my favorites.

When my parents celebrated their 20th anniversary, Grandma drove down in the station wagon to take care of Sean and me for the week. The first night she had us, she took us to the McDonald's drive-thru. As we ate dinner in our kitchen she said "Enjoy this, cause this is the last night you will get it this week." Additionally, every morning before school she would make us make our beds. We weren't used to that but not wanting to argue with her, we just did it. Several years later (and I mean several) it came up in a dinner conversation with my parents. As it turns out, she only made us make our beds because she thought our mother made us make them. She said "I don't care if your beds are made!" My mom laughed, neither did she! We all had a good laugh about it.

Once, when we were little, Sean swallowed some gum in her presence. She quickly warned him that it was dangerous and explained that when her brother was young and had his appendix removed, doctors found it filled with gum. My mom said she doubted it was true but Grandma was adamant. I don't think Sean swallowed gum again for a year. Or two.

As many people remember, the cousins used to like to sleep in the camper when it was parked at Meadow Rock Farm. One year, the boys went first and had a raucous time. The following night it was the girls' turn. Margaret, Annie, and I gathered our stuff and prepared to head outside. Grandma passed me standing by the door with my pillow and blanket and offhandedly said, "Oh, you're sleeping in the camper tonight. Have fun! I don't think the coyotes will come too close to the house tonight." We didn't last more than an hour before running inside because "we saw something." I doubt she ever intended to scare us but looking back I find it hysterical that she said it.

When I was in the hospital four years ago for my surgery, Grandma was adamant about coming to visit me. Aunt Mary kindly drove her over to the hospital to see me late one night. My room was already filled with flowers so Grandma brought me a plastic windmill toy. She thought it would be more entertaining for me. As it turns out, post-surgery they had to test my breathing regularly. My surgeon commented it was perfect for me! I brought it to work with me once I was released to play with while I worked. After I left that job, I transferred it to my apartment. It remains on my desk where I see it every morning while I get ready.

In the years after she moved to New Jersey I often visited her when I was home for a weekend. Sometimes it was to bring her something, sometimes it was to keep her company, sometimes it was just because. We talked about everything, politics, women's rights issues, Pop, her childhood, the family, the extended family, anything and everything. I learned so much from her over those talks and gained a whole new appreciation for her and how she influenced me in my life. I am so much more like her than I thought. I will cherish those times for the rest of my life. And for that, I am eternally grateful.

No comments: