Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Grandma

Sorry for the double posting, but I wanted to make sure this message stood on its own:

 

Honestly it is still a little surreal for me being so far away, but Jen and I have both been very affected by the news.  We wish to pass along our deepest sympathies, condolences, and love to the entire family.  While it is an absolute blessing that Grandma had her family was with her in her final days, we can’t help but still feel the sadness and pain that comes along with such an event.

 

Ultimately I will carry fond and happy memories of a woman who was responsible for so many wonderful people and things in this world.  She left a wonderful legacy as (in her words) “the matriarch of a grand clan”.  And I, for one, am proud and honored to be included in that group.  But it’s still very raw, and the sadness has not yet completely given way to the happy memories.

 

It is my belief that we as individuals are the sum of our experiences – the places we’ve been, the people we’ve known, the things we’ve seen, etc.  Part of that means that we carry with us pieces of those we have known and loved, some pieces bigger than others – especially family.  In my eyes, her legacy lives on in each of us reading this post.

 

I see her in each of her sons and in each of her grandchildren.  Her poise and grace.  Her sense of humor and her wit.  Her resolution and tenacity.  I will remember her laugh and her smile.  Her devotion to Pop and to her family.  But mostly, I will remember how she always treated me as blood, as a Dickson.

 

I never felt second class or “step”; I always felt part of the grand clan.  I don’t believe that I was ever able to articulate how much that meant to me, and I’m not sure that I ever could.  But that is her legacy to me – the Dickson family, whom I love and cherish, and with whom I have SO many fond memories: from Door County to Pomfret, from Rhode Island to the wedding.  Jen and I were so touched that Grandma and the entire family came to Chicago for our wedding, and Grandma led that charge to the Midwest.  I will always remember and deeply appreciate that.

 

I look forward to this summer with bittersweet emotions.  It will be great to see everyone, I just wish it was under different circumstances.

 

LOVE

No comments: