Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year!!

Happy 2009!

Here's praying that the new year brings us health, peace and a better economic outlook!

An eventful Christmas holiday this year. On Wednesday, December 24, Peter and I joined Grandma at Lessons and Carols at Meadow Lakes. Wonderful service. Lots of singing and bible readings. Johanna and Sean joined us for dinner, which was really tasty! It was also a treat to see my good friend Liz Read at dinner. Her parents, Jim and Peg Read also live at ML, and are friends of Grandma's.

On Thursday morning, Peter went over to Meadow Lakes and brought Grandma back to our house, where we opened presents and Janet cooked her usual Christmas brunch - eggs benedict. Actually got the timing down this year! Grandma was sadly not up to joining us in South Orange (or to go to ethesda), so Peter brought her back to Meadow Lakes, as we prepared to join my brother and his family for a Christmas feast. My dad was able to come with us and we had a wonderful time with my brother, sister-in-law, one nephew, two nieces, one nephew-in-law, one niece-in-law, and five little grand nieces and nephews. Can you repeat that? Without looking?

On Saturday, my niece Geren and her husband Dave had their younger daughter Lindsay baptized. Another party! It was great to see other relatives and old friends that we hadn't seen in awhile. Including Johanna's immediate boss, Bernie Davis. Bernie's parents are Geren's
godarents, and Bernie is one of my nephew Damien's best friends. All in the family! Speaking of Johanna, and Bernie... Johanna will start working full time on Monday. She has done a spectacular job and has increased their business big time.

We, who never have much to do, it seems, then went to another party that night, given by the woman with whom Peter teaches at Princeton. She's the professor. Johanna used to and still occasionally does, babysit for them. A great day, but exhausting.

And so to the sort of down side. I had oral surgery on Monday morning to clean out an infection in an old, old, old, root canal. I mean, I was in my 20's when it was done and now I'm, uh, 50 something? Absolutely no pain, mainly because they put me to sleep. I went home with two
prescriptions for antibiotics - one I take three times a day, the other one time a day. I not only can't drink alcohol with the one med, I can't even have it on my skin. No perfume, no hair spray (a big one for me), only certain hand creams, no hand sanitizers. The pharmacist told me that I would get very ill. No problem. I have been an exemplary patient.

We weren't doing anything special on New Year's Eve, so Johanna and I had a special day. We went to see three movies - "The Tale of Despereaux," which was from a book written by a very popular YA author (we have the book in our library). Such a darling film. Then on to "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," extremely well acted, engaging, but very sad. And finally, "Marley and Me," a great film to end our day with. Wonderful, wonderful, especially for anyone who has ever owned a pet. Not a dry eye in the house.

And today we are traveling on this lovely winter day (18 degrees so far) to NYC to have dinner with Sean and Amanda. Brr! But the company will keep us warm!

The best of everything to all of you for 2009!

No comments: