Saturday, September 30, 2017

The Endless Summer

Just ended.  After several false starts, fall weather is finally here.  We complained last week about how hot it was, but now I'm complaining that I had to turn on the heat.  Mary's not looking back but is ready to enjoy the change of seasons.

It's quiet here.  We enjoyed Andrew's visit for several days here.  The last time he was here?  2011, for Grandma's 80th birthday party, and our house warming.  We remember that weekend, right?  Check out the photo below.  A lot has happened in all our families since 2011.  

Anyway, with Andrew here, we did a butcher and old car tour of Pittsfield, and then we went to the Norman Rockwell Museum with him, stopping at the Red Lion Inn to complete his "36 hours in the Berkshires" tour.  A couple of barbecues later, he left Friday morning to make the two-day trek back to Dundee to make sure he got home in time for Auden's birthday party.  We spent endless hours chatting, but the conversation always seemed to veer towards a certain resident of the White House.  I think we covered every possible angle of the national anthem at football games as well.

Speaking of parties, I gave birthday wishes at the end of the last letter and thought I was forgetting someone.  Thanks to Facebook, I know it was Tina's birthday this past week (sorry).  Johanna's birthday is tomorrow.  Enjoy the festivities!

Andrew had stopped in Fairport on the way out to see first-hand David and Paula's not-so-new home, as they've been in it for over a year now.  He was able to take in the local sites with David, and joined Matthew and Tina and Oliver and Donald for dinner one night.  

One morning this week, both Mary and I were awakened by a crash, from obviously somewhere in or near the house.  It sounded like some animal had tipped over the compost bucket on the back porch.  I ran (ok, cautiously edged) downstairs and saw the bucket intact.  When I went into the kitchen, I noticed that there was a cushion on the ground on the porch, and the sofa cushions had fallen on their sides.  Hmm?  A few seconds later, a big furry raccoon came out from behind the sofa, and then another one followed him (her?)  Thee screened door must have shut behind them and they couldn't make their way out so they were busy knocking over as much as they could on the porch.  I got a long pole and from the outside, pushed the door open, and this time I actually did run.  Mary saw the raccoons cautiously edge their way off the porch and back into the woods.  Too much excitement for 6 in the morning.

Another exciting story.  Yes, there were actually two this week, apart from Andrew's visit.  I had a tour to do at Shaker Village on Friday, and as usual, I secretly hope no one shows up, so I can go home.  When I walked into the ticket desk, I was told there was one person, and this woman came around the corner, and she looked familiar.  I asked her if I knew her, and she answered, maybe.  Then the woman at the ticket counter, introduced me to Natalie who would be on my tour.  I looked at the woman, and said, I love your music.  It was Natalie Merchant, and I gave her a tour, and was glad I did not go home early,  A nice, normal, classy lady.  If you don't know who she is, I suggest downloading "My Skin," among several others.  

Mary had spent last weekend with Joe and Leonor in Washington, as well as Thomas.  She sees so much growth and happiness - he's smiling and looks like he might even be laughing.  Margaret and Andrew came over for dinner one night.  I couldn't go as I had a conference on historic preservation in Lowell where I had been asked to present about our campaign last year to pass the Community Preservation Act last year.

Speaking of last year, Mary reminded me that at this time a year ago, we had returned from our tour to northern Portugal and had a day or two left before heading home.  That was one fun trip.

So, hope you all are well, healthy and happy and enjoying the new season.

Love from up here.




   


No comments: