Saturday, April 17, 2010

Jamaica Man

I thought I had given up travel with the State Department.  Yet, they didn't have to twist my arm hard to convince me to go back to the Caribbean, this time to Jamaica.  It was to help launch a youth employment project which USAID had organized.  Had I known I was on a panel with the Prime Minister I would have been nervous all the way down.  But, I didn't know that until I walked into the room Wednesday morning.  
I ran into a Peruvian woman who I had known from way back then, and there were several "do-you-know conversations" where I was able to get the current e-mail address from someone who had been in Peace Corps in Gabon.  And, with a little extra time, it was entirely appropriate for this cultural officer to go to the Bob Marley Museum, eat meal porridge, and go to the government yards in Trenchtown.  (all references from "No Woman, No Cry")

Truth is Jamaica has earned a negative reputation for its high crime rate.  On this short trip, I found the people wonderful and the country beautiful.  As often happens when I travel, I came back and told Mary we have to go.

Two coincidences.  On the plane back a woman sat down who I had worked with in Haiti, and she had just finished her assignment in Haiti.  Lots of stories about the good and the bad there, since I had left, what you don't read in the newspapers.

The other coincidence was Joe had also been in the Caribbean, in St. Lucia.  He had gone last week for a week (or so) of R&R after long hours putting together another proposal.  He had his i-phone stolen right before, and he's still working on the proposal, so we haven't heard about his adventure.

We talked with Annie a few times, as she was tackling real adulthood - filling out her taxes for the first time.  She had four different forms to file: the federal and three states: NY, MD and MA.  Turbo tax should give her frequent filer miles.

And it was Margaret's first week on her new job!  She is now working for a bigger international education organization, called the Academy for Education Development (better known as AED).  She has left the Latin America region and is working on a big Iraqi education contract with USAID.  Lots of new things, but a shorter commute!

It was student report week for Mary which meant lots off long hours and frustrating struggles with technology templates for her reports.  Good time for me to get out-a town!

Other news: baseball started!  Always important, but with mixed results so far.  Mary has talked to her brother Dan who may be going to France to visit Patrick who is on a semester abroad program.  John and Marilyn got back from what sounded like a great trip to Egypt and Jordan.  

And we close with a couple of photos from last time around - Jeffrey giving the Dundee Dicksons a tour of the Capitol and Johnny cutting down a tree at our house which we have now named "everywhere you look."

Love from down here.  (Happy birthday Peter!)

No comments: