Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Movies

My (and Johanna's) favorite TV event is now over - the Oscars.  This year we managed to see quite a few of the nominated films.  Johanna reminded me that we had seen all of the nominated films (although not all of the nominated performances, as I detest professional wrestling).

We squeaked in "The Reader" on Sunday just hours before the big show.  We both loved Kate Winslet's performance (preferring it to "Revolutionary Road"), but found ourselves with a lot of questions about the film afterward.  We both liked "Benjamin Button," and "Frost/Nixon," absolutely loved "Milk," (I actually met one of real-life characters - Cleve Jones, when I worked with the NAMES Project in Washington), and were ecstatic over "Slumdog's" multiple wins.

John posted his 10 favorite films and mentioned that David had chimed in with "Star Wars" and "Lawrence of Arabia."  I tried to come up with ten, but I love the movies and I love many of them for different reasons, and so coming up with just ten is very difficult.

But here are ten to start with:

To Kill a Mockingbird
Monsters, Inc.
Slumdog Millionaire
The Godfather Part 1
The Godfather Part 2
Casablanca
Schindler's List
Little Miss Sunshine
Yankee Doodle Dandy
West Side Story

Peter would add "On the Waterfront," for himself, and Sean's favorite has been (may have changed) "Shawshank Redemption."  Johanna can add her own ten.

I have noticed that as the economy worsens, the movie theatres are more crowded.  Escapism always works for me!

We are all well.  Peter spent some time with Grandma and Rell.  I was visiting my Dad and wasn't finished in time to join them for dinner.  Johanna and Sean are both working hard.  We have a salary freeze here at school and have been told that in September the head of school will be looking more closely at cutting programs and positions.  Meanwhile, I am making myself indispensible!  Or trying to...

Love to all!


1 comment:

Pops Weekly Letter said...

I love the list. But you're missing Bruce Willis!