Friday, July 31, 2026

Put July in the history books

Only a few more hours left in July, without a weekly letter yet. I fully intended to put one together before we went to the Poconos, but I think you can imagine the craziness of the last few days before we descend on Mt. Springs.  And, now, early July seems like ancient history, what with Andrew’s birthday, Annie’s birthday, July 4, Mary’s going off to Wisconsin and more.

But first, the Poconos. Remember that? Another special year with lots of memories and pictures imprinted on our brains. I’m sure everyone has their highlights but here goes. Let’s see if my list is like yours.

As before it’s just wonderful to see the next generation play together, wander around, swing and see-saw, dig in the sand, swim, tell stories, run and play tetherball, football, frisbee, soccer, badminton. Did someone say tired? Not them.

One big highlight this year was watching the World Cup games, especially the final. Exciting and tense.

Another achievement was surviving a full day of rain, with lots of little ones.  I’m not even sure how we did it.

And, we all welcomed a new addition to the family in Darcy, and we met for the first time Ronan.

Of course, the meals were great, and so were the naps. For the first time, I didn’t walk around the lake, but a few other people did, I noticed.  I also saw some fishermen and women, and some first-time swimmers out all the way to the dock.   

We might have set a record for trips to the grocery store in a day. 

There were a few people we missed at the Poconos, so hopefully next year.  I know why Claire wasn’t there. She went to Colorado to see her brother and his family.

We had a little adventure on the way home. Actually, a couple. Mary and I took all three boys in the rental van, and had a reminder of what it’s like to travel with little children. (Which means thanks to all who made the trip taking care of bathroom breaks and arguments and requests.)  We stopped at one rest area, and who did we see inside? Joe and Annie and Luisa!  How did they get ahead of us?

Then, we almost ran out of gas on the way home. One more unneeded stress.

But we made it home, and have enjoyed two weeks with everyone here. The boys were in a sports camp, and Leonor arrived the day before Mary’s birthday!  We also survived a few days of downpours here. Then Thomas turned 9. The 24th was also Donald’s big day.

Annie left yesterday to start her European vacation with Sankar, that includes trips to Italy, Croatia, Portugal and England.  Maybe somewhere else too.

Then, tomorrow we take Joe and children to the airport for their return to London, and, by a fluke of travel planning, Leonor leaves the following day before they all continue their party in Portugal.

Sickness followed us here. Hope you all missed it. We’re slowly sharing coughs and some lost voices. And, in the good timing department, I had cataract surgery yesterday. Went smoothly, but it was a little disruptive for everyone else. I get the second eye done before the next bi-weekly letter,

We also took advantage of our family here to host a get-together in memory of Timmy, and a large contingent of Boyles showed up to send him off with lots of stories.

July did fly by, but that’s what happens when you pack it in. August will be slower and quieter. We’ll miss everyone for sure.

Love from up here.

 

IMG_1759.JPG

IMG_1784.JPG
IMG_1792.jpg



No comments: